Khuner Young Artist Concerto Competition
In order to apply:
- Click on the link below and complete the application form
- Pay the $50 application fee as instructed on the application form
Applying to audition:
- The Competition is open to Bay Area string, woodwind, brass, harp and percussion players who are 18 years of age or younger on the date of the audition.
- Applicants must submit a complete Application by the stated deadline.
- The application fee is to be paid as instructed on the Application Form.
- To be eligible to audition, applicants must be able to perform at the prescheduled concert, usually the last Sunday afternoon in January in Oakland. The concert date will be stated when the audition date is announced. Applicants must verify availability on their application, since only contestants who can perform on that date will be considered.
- Auditioners select their composition – a concerto or work for solo instrument and orchestra – and must assure that orchestral score and parts are readily available for the Orchestra to borrow, obtain online from a public domain source or, if necessary, rent from a publisher.
- Auditioners must arrange for their own piano accompanist for the audition.
- Auditioners must be prepared to play from memory the entire concerto at the audition
- Auditions run between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. on the announced audition date (usually a Saturday in early November).
- Assigned audition time — after all applications are processed, auditioners are given an assigned time and asked to confirm. A specific time can be requested on the Application Form to allow for mandatory attendance at a rehearsal or similar obligation, but we may not be able to grant all requests. Auditions cannot be rescheduled to a different date.
- Location – Auditioners are given directions to the location, usually in Albany, and an arrival time to allow for warm-up.
- As only 10 to 20 minutes is allotted to each audition, the judge will ask auditioners to play only representative passages. To make the most of your limited time, please cut the score so accompanist-only passages are omitted or very brief.
- Accompanist – auditioners must arrange for their own pianist and provide the piano score.
- Music – please bring to the audition one copy of the solo part for the judge.
- Teachers and family are welcome but cannot be in the audition room. We provide a comfortable waiting area.
- The Competition Winner will be informed approximately one week after the auditions. Other auditioners are advised by email of the outcome and invited to audition next season.
- Award: The Winner will receive a $200 award, a professional recording of the performance with the Prometheus Symphony, and a framed certificate.
- Performance: The Winner will perform in concert with the Prometheus Symphony, usually on the last Sunday in January at 3 p.m. in Oakland.
- Rehearsals: The Winner must attend evening rehearsals in the East Bay (usually at Merritt College in the Oakland Hills) at scheduled times each Monday and the dress rehearsal on the Wednesday before the concert at the concert site.
- Photo and biography: The Winner is to provide a photo and bio for the Orchestra’s website, concert publicity and the concert program.
QUESTIONS? Send an email to ConcertoCompetition@PrometheusSymphony.org